Makelangelo Pen Holder Changes

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo Pen Holder Changes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Let’s talk pen holder mods.

My goals are:
    – make it easier to put together and take apart
    – make it run even better on bigger surfaces (walls and windows)
    – make it easier to put in a pen

I’ve replaced all the zip ties with velcro tape in my always-changing exerimental model. I’ve also removed all glue. This way it can be disassembled and reassembled many times.

On big walls the pen has almost no pressure at the bottom of the drawing. the machine has to move extra slow down there, and wait longer for pen up/down movements. I think this automatic speed adjustment can be incorporated into the makelangelo software.

Another idea is to stick the pen out more between the pen holder and the paper. This gives more pressure at the bottom of the page, but makes the pen wobble a lot and may be trouble at the top of the drawings. Also if it sticks out more then the servo finger won’t be able to reach the wall, which means the pen can’t lift off the drawing.

I haven’t tried a solenoid instead of a servo. I suspect a solenoid moves so fast that it would crack a window. At the bottom of a drawing it would make the pen holder fly out from the wall.

What say you?

Anonymous
    Inactive

One thing I notice is that, in some cases the pen holder sways (due to pen drag) or rocks (due to the servo) quite a bit due to the two belt screws being above the actual pen. If the pen was centered, this might be reduced, as in:
    http://www.gocupi.com/product/gocupi-the-complete-package/
    or

PolargraphSD: The gondola

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops. Just saw your blog post!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think Harvey Moon attached a stiff wire to the servo horn to gain some distance from the surface. That’s always an option. (Also, could a micro servo be used instead?)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Perhaps mount the servo rotating vertically rather than from the side. If the offset of the servo body is an issue one could always attach a counterweight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You guys rock.

I like the stiff wire idea. I’ve been looking for a way to run it right along the edge of the pen. The further away it gets from the pen tip, the more twisting/sway/whatever it causes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must say that Dans’ pen holder for the Make 3 is just fine. I tape one American Quarter to the lower left side on the wood and it works just fine. Lines are straight.Everything is balanced. I thought of fiddling around in my Machine shop to try to fabricate some kind of Gondola based on different versions I’ve seen. What’s the point?….if its not broke,don’t fix it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sharpie makes a three-pack Super Twin Tip marker. Colors are Black,Red and Blue. They are larger that the usual sort. One end is Fine…the other is Chisel. This…for experienced printers is great information for those larger draws. A nice fat Sharpie. Look for it. I found mine at Staples. It is…the answer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are there plans or drawings somewhere for the CD gondola/pen holder? Also….the calibration pattern for the new home position (for make 3+)…what is the exact distance down from top center?

Dan
    Keymaster

The current M5 pen holder is a laser cut variation on a thingiverse model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:798076
    ymmv.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.