Makelangelo 3.2 How to calibrate for first use

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Makelangelo 3.2 How to calibrate for first use

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a Makelangelo 3.2 and have downloaded and installed 7.10.0 software on Windows 10. I can’t find any instructions on how to calibrate and make a first print. I did find a “m4 calibration.pdf” in the zip file without any explanation. Btw, I’m in the US so if the measurements printed on the paper are meant to be accurate I’m not sure how to accomplish that using 8 1/2 X 11 inch paper. Resizing the print +10% does not seem to do it. Help please. How do I calibrate it and make a “hello world” equivalent first print?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone?

Dan
    Keymaster

8 1/2 x 11″ US letter size paper is the size used in the PDF. as long as your calibration printout is 1:1 with the original PDF it will be accurate. This video details the steps, and is linked from the page where you purchased the M3.2. It was just a link, which I have now upgraded to a an embedded video. Thanks for pointing out it could be better!

Does that help?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for trying to help. I’m still not there. The robot thinks my paper is much larger than it actually is. The video above shows where the home position is physically, but does not show the sequence of setting it in the software and how to print the “thank you.dxf” file on an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper which is what I am attempting to do to get started. I am attaching a video link of how I am attempting to print the “thank you.dxf” file so you can see how it fails in the hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Current Steps I’m Taking

Dan
    Keymaster

You are correct about pressing “set home” when at the home position.

From the home position when you Y-100, how far does it actually travel?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick response/review.

Q: From the home position when you Y-100, how far does it actually travel?
    A: About 5″ down, then if I press Y-100 again it goes up 4″ and if I press it a third time it goes up near the top of the board and the steppers start skipping. Video attached.

Video of Y-100

Anonymous
    Inactive

make sure you are using the right stepper motors,
    The steppers Dan uses are 400 steps, if yours are 200 you will have to change things in the firmware.

I had the same problem and when i changed the stepper value it worked fine.

I think its in the Config table in your firmware.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased it all as a kit from marginallyclever so the stepper motors were not selected by me. They are 0.9” stepper motors from LDO Motors model LDO-42STH33-03044MA. I have not tried to change any firmware. Still looking for any guidance.

Dan
    Keymaster

Y-100 should move 10cm down, ~4″.

What happens when you send the message D2, what does it say? for a 20-tooth pulley it should say 12.7323954

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Y-100 should move 10cm down, ~4″, Unfortunately it is not. On the first Y-100 travel is now left about 4” and the second Y-100 the travel is UP beyond 6 inches. Which is different than an earlier test. You can see what I am experiencing here:
    Test 3

Q: What happens when you send the message D2?
    Response: I don’t know how to send a D2 message? Can I get some guidance please?

Dan
    Keymaster

There’s a log at the bottom of the app and below that a blank line to send advanced commands directly to the robot. Type D2 in that box and click “send” or hit enter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Log statements below. The print head moved left when I pressed Y-100. I tried using another computer and a different USB cable. No change in results.

HELLO WORLD! I AM DRAWBOT #18729
    == DRAWBOT – http://www.makelangelo.com/ ==
    M100 – display this message
    M101 [Tx.xx] [Bx.xx] [Rx.xx] [Lx.xx]
    – display/update board dimensions.
    As well as the following G-codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code):
    G00,G01,G02,G03,G04,G28,G90,G91,G92,M18,M114

M101 T42 B-42 L-40.25 R40.25 I1 J1
    D1 L1.273
    > -40.25,42.00 – 40.25,-42.00
    G92 X0.0 Y203.0

D6 X0 Y203
    G0 F6500 A250
    FileTypeDXF2…
    Converting temp5395877781789456315.ngc
    Sorting layer Layer_1 into buckets…
    Sorting layer 0 into buckets…
    Done!
    4691 line segments. 784.99567cm Estimated draw time: 12m38s .
    Completed
    G92 X0.0 Y203.0
    D6 X0 Y203
    G91
    G00 X0 Y-100
    G90
    D2
    > L1.27 R1.27

Anonymous
    Inactive

I counted the teeth on one of the steppers. There were 20 teeth.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey I tried D2 also on my bot and i get the same results..

D2 L1.27 R1.27

What does that mean if its meant to be 12.57/..

Anonymous
    Inactive

ALSO
    when i do D1

i get

D1
    adjustPulleyDiameter dia=1.27
    cir=3.99
    SPT=3200.00
    tps*1000=1.25
    SD is added

Why is the pulley size 1.27??

shouldnt it be 12.57

is this the error we are looking for

Dan
    Keymaster

it’s supposed to be 1.27, i wrote it wrong.

I don’t initially see anything wrong. Normally if it goes the wrong distance it’s

– wrong machine size (seems ok)
    – wrong pulley size (1.27 is good for 20 teeth)
    – inverted motors (try settings > jog motor, in should go towards motor, out should go away from motor)
    – failure to flip the DIP switches under the drivers. all switches should be in the DOWN position. DO NOT remove the drivers with power plugged in, you can permanently damage the drivers.

and after that the issue is something exotic. Does that help?

Anonymous
    Inactive

So in my case
    my machine size is 650,
    Just to confirm it was measured from inside the 2 steppers and not the shafts.
    and my board length is 1000mm

however,
    When ever and i mean WHEN EVER i move my axis around.. Left or right i get about 130mm but up and down i get half that distance..

i know that i am using 200 stepper motors.. and i have adjusted for this in the code.. but otherwise my machine is identical to yours.. and the fact that he has a store bought one and having the same issues.. says there is a problem that we are clearly overlooking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not seeing any other troubleshooting tests to try. If we are at the end of the road then can I ship it back to you for repair? I’m happy to try something else, but I need some guidance.

Dan
    Keymaster

I don’t believe there’s anything physically wrong with the machine just yet, as we test all machines before shipping and you’ve shown all motors and servos have worked on command. I strongly believe there’s a software or configuration problem.

Of course I have a machine here of that model, so I’m going to re-run the code here, do a test drawing which I’ll post on instagram and link here, then get you exact settings from my machine after the test run.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Dan,
    How about my Bot? you seem to have given up on my thread that i posted…
    I am having same issues as this guy with the drawing lines..

The lengths are totally wrong..

Dan
    Keymaster

Update: we are currently running our tests and should have real news a bit later today.

Dan
    Keymaster

@fishingincairns I’m sorry if I haven’t been on top of everything. There’s a lot going on and I’m doing my best to keep all the juggling balls in the air at once. I hope when I solve this it fixes things for everyone?

Dan
    Keymaster

So now we need to figure out what’s different between your machines and ours.

We downloaded the firmware and software from the website as a customer would.
    We opened the firmware and made sure in configure.h that the following was set:

#define MAKELANGELO_HARDWARE_VERSION 3 // If you have a makelangelo 3+
    //#define MAKELANGELO_HARDWARE_VERSION 5 // If you have a makelangelo 5+

(normally the // is on the first line)

Then we uploaded that firmware.

In the makelangelo-software,

we connected to the robot

we check that left in moved towards the left motor

we check that left in moved towards the right motor

we centered on the home position (~20cm from the top, i forget the exact measure) and clicked “set home”.

our board is 835 wide and 1220 tall. Our A2 paper was 190mm from the top of the board, so I lied to the machine and said the board was 974 tall (A2 height 594mm + 190*2) so that the paper would appear in the middle of the machine. I could have also moved the paper down to the center of 1220. I like fixing things in software when I can.

we ran a border test, which outlined our A2 paper minus our 10% paper margin.

we loaded thankyou.dxf with “optimize on load” selected. DXF loading will load all the lines in random order; optimize will sort them end-to-end to save a lot of wasted moves and drawing time.

we put in a black sharpie (wow, I don’t miss how annoying that is on the 3)

we hit start. drawing proceeded normally.

results:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have written and uploaded Arduino code before, but I need instructions on downloading and then uploading firmware for your system. For example:
    a. URL for the firmware?
    b. What IDE to use to open, edit and upload software?
    c. On a Windows 10 machine where will the configure.h file be located?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Albert Jones,
    I am glad your getting the help you need from Dan.. .i started a Thread on similar issues on the M5 that i built and it seems that he is ignoring it.

I am going to try the M3 information on my M5 machine to see if it makes a difference.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.