LEDs and LCD flashing with no response

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot LEDs and LCD flashing with no response

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I just received and assembled my Makelangelo 3.2, and when I power it on (plug it in), several of the on-board LEDs along with the LCD screen flash on and off at about half second intervals. Any chance anyone knows what’s going on?

I can check which lights they are, I know one is the power light, and the LCD screen which is displaying nothing but boxes. There is also no response to the computer when I plug in the USB.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,
    Tony

Dan
    Keymaster

Please take a photo of your wiring so I can check everything is AOK.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for not updating sooner. After double checking things myself, I ended up trying a different power supply and it worked perfectly, so I’m not sure what would be wrong with the one I received with the kit but it appears that it was the problem.

The details on the one that is not working are as follows:
    Model – HLT12002001
    Input – 100-240Vac~, 50/60Hz, 0.8A
    Output – 12V

2.0A
    In a wall-wart format

The one that is now working came with my Printrbot Simple kit:
    Manufacturer – CUI INC Japan
    Type – Switch-mode power supply
    Model – ETSA120500U-P5P-SZ
    Input – 100-240V~, 50-60Hz, 1.5A
    Output – 12V

5.0A
    In a laptop black box format

Any ideas on what might be the issue? Could it be a faulty PSU? Is there any way I can test it? I measured 12V on it with a multimeter but beyond that I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
    Tony

Dan
    Keymaster

I personally test parts when they arrive at our facility.

Are you running Windows? Windows machines need a driver to recognize the controller.
    http://learn.marginallyclever.com/index.php/Makelangelo_3.2_Assembly#Teach_the_Controller

Anonymous
    Inactive

As I said, everything is working perfectly with the substitute power supply, so the drivers are fine (and it is on Windows).

Maybe the board is drawing more power than it should be?

Is there anything in the firmware that would make it flash lights on and off as I described?

Dan
    Keymaster

All I can think is that it was damaged in shipping, which is 🙁

I will recheck our inventory.

The only reason I can think of is that the board is rebooting over and over. We upload the firmware to the boards at the last step before shipping, to be sure that the board is working when it leaves the warehouse and has the latest code.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.