Home built Makelangelo has jitter issues

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Home built Makelangelo has jitter issues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have built my own Makelangelo and WOW! this rocks.

However I have had some issues (as any DIY project will). I am hoping you may enlighten me on the final issue I am having.

I used the 3d Print https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:798076 a arduino and motor shield. I have two sets of electronics down to the steppers and servos. When I apply 12v via my bench top power supply the system acts very weird and overheats the shield but when I take it down to 5v all works great but for one thing. Transit moves on the gondola are nice and smooth but when it is drawing and the servo is down the steppers get jittery. Here is what I have come up with on testing:

1. Disconnecting the servo does not get rid of the jitter on both units
    2. Power over 6v to the shield makes the machine almost epileptic and the shield gets very hot on both setups
    3. Changing the speed of the pen in the settings to 500 and everywhere in between 6500 and 500 makes no difference
    4. Swapping out the steppers made no difference
    5. The jitter is more pronounced on things like the Darth Vader DXF I made via your instructions
    6. When I do a test fiboacci lager curves are ok but the tighter the curve the more jitter.
    7. I have changed the code to reflect the 200 steps of a standard stepper

I am not sure where to go from here to try and smooth out the motion. Any suggestions?
    If needed I can make some videos to share to show the issue both with jitter an also with applying 12v (which seems to be suggested in your instructions)

Thank you and amazing work!

Anonymous
    Inactive

No luck with more experimenting but I can add some stuff to the list of “I have tried this”

Changed the micro stepping to 8 instead of 16 in hopes that would fix things but no.

Dan
    Keymaster

Can you show a picture of your machine, please? Especially a closeup of the electronics.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Anonymous
    Inactive

That is the hardware I have been using with a Bench top power supply. I have moved to a 5v wall wart and it has enough power to drive things.

I notice when I use your system to modify the JPG’s and such it is ok and smooth but when trying a inkscape export vector it gets jittery. I have tried DXF out of SolidWorks, Autodesk, Onshape and adobe illustrator as well. All have the same issues. I have not tried making my own G-code yet but that is on my testing list for the future.

This still does not explain the issues when using both motor shields at 12v causing mayhem and overheating. But like I said 5v works and I am good with that but it is still jittery.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is an example of the jitter. If you think that this is a 5v issue and it is underpowered it gets MUCH worse the more voltage added.

https://u2582250.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2582250/IMG_8552.MOV

Also I have checked the drag of the pen and also adjusted the height o the pen from the board to see if that was the issue but unfortunately no.

Also please do not think I am complaining. I love this setup you have!

Dan
    Keymaster

It looks to me like the 5v servo power source is wired to the 12v motor power source. I’ve only experienced bad things doing that. mixing voltages usually kills the magic rock.

The jitter I’m seeing looks pretty normal at low speed. the steppers are pausing just long enough to translate the shake down the belt to the pen holder. One solution is to use steppers with a higher step count (we use 0.9deg steppers, or 400-per-turn). Another would be to dampen the vibration on the belt. Our units roll the belt around a peg on the bottom inside corner of the motor. This also keeps the belt at a fixed spot: rolling around the pulley creates a difference between the mathematical model in the robot’s brain and the actual model, also known as i-wanted-a-circle-and-got-an-egg effect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOVE the magic rock quote. I am going to use it for myself in the future 🙂

I would agree with you on the servo power normally but I am applying only 5v. Also on the other motor shield I get the same issues and it has no unique power for a servo. I have tried using the shield with no servo (to rule out this very thing) and tried a servo on its own power source isolating the servo and no change to the jitter.

I do not dare apply 12 volts to the shield and steppers as it makes the shield overheat and amplifies the jittering. Like this: https://u2582250.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2582250/IMG_8553.MOV

Anyhow I’ll dig into the code a bit and see if there is any way myself or my coding friends can figure out how to smooth out the motion. I’ll start with looking to see the difference between the transit motion code vs the drawing motion code as the transit moves are like silk.

Thanks again for your help, and great build. I have tried some other v plotter bot software and firmware and by far yours is exponentially simpler to implement than any other code I found out there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh and FYI I am a coder that has the ability to let the magic smoke out of the magic rocks 🙂

Dan
    Keymaster

This is going to get technical, but it’s relevant.

The motor shield talks with i2c to the arduino. this is great for adding lots of devices but it bottlenecks communication. There is no way with the AMS boards to say “ok, everyone, here are the target steps and direction to reach in N steps, now i will send pulses and you step at the right time.” instead I have to instruct each motor individually. Even a properly powered board has an i2c delay every step. That might only be 50us but it adds up really fast.

For that reason when I was looking for a better board I went with the RUMBA. It can “bit bang” the steps with a much smaller delay between steps (faster, smoother). It can also be upcycled to make a 3d printer (I made a prusa i3) because that’s responsible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great! I’ll order one then. Do you sell the board?

Dan
    Keymaster
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.