Firmware won’t upload to a Diecimila ATMega168

Shop Forum Makelangelo Polargraph Art Robot Firmware won’t upload to a Diecimila ATMega168

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am trying to compile and upload the Makelangelo firmware to an Arduino Diecimila ATMega168. Will the firmware fit on a ATMega168 chip? Will swapping in a ATMega328 chip fix this error? I get the following message (error message below).

Sketch uses 23,224 bytes (161%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14,336 bytes.
    Global variables use 1,409 bytes (137%) of dynamic memory, leaving -385 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 1,024 bytes.
    processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.
    at processing.app.debug.Compiler.size(Compiler.java:340)
    at processing.app.debug.Compiler.build(Compiler.java:123)
    at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1109)
    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1127)
    at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1113)
    at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure you have the correct board selected under tools/board

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely have the correct board in tools.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The code won’t fit on the chip and even if it did there isn’t enough ram. Like trying to install windows on a pocket calculator.
    The 168 chip isn’t big enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh! I thought that might be the case. Thanks, for getting back to me so quickly.

I’m going to try and swap in a 328 chip ( with a bootloader on it ) and see if I can get it working – why make this project easy right? I’ve already learnt more about gears, timing belts, stepper motors, arduino software veraions and now chip sets than I thought I ever would. ☺

Anonymous
    Inactive

Installing a ATMega328P chip into a Diecimila worked!

Side note: With the upgrade. I had to upload to the board as a UNO.

Thanks again for the help.

Dan
    Keymaster

Congratulations, Michael! Doubly so, because you’re the first to post to our updated forums.

Nice. Post a pic of your machine, please.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks!

I fear that a working machine is a way off though 🙂

The firmware seems to be the first of many more hurdles. The servo is fine but the java app won’t turn the steppers for some reason – I know they are wired and working as they rotate with the Adafruit Motorshield V2 sketches.

I can’t seem to find much documentation for the java app, so I am wondering if the firmware installed properly.

Dan
    Keymaster

In the Java app, connect to the robot and the title should change to say “Makelangelo #[number]”.
    In the log pane do you see “Hello, World! I am Drawbot #….”?

Do the jog motor buttons do anything?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes it does connect (see log below). But the jog motor buttons do nothing… I thought it might be a voltage problem, but thinking back the steppers turn with the Adafruit sketches. I cranked it up to 12v but still nothing.

I did a little research and the Polargraph has problems with lesser boards – perhaps the Diecimila doesn’t have enough grunt in the memory department (just a stab in the dark – I know nothing about these things technically).

thanks for your patience.

HELLO WORLD! I AM DRAWBOT #16789 M100 – display this message M101 [Tx.xx] [Bx.xx] [Rx.xx] [Lx.xx] – display/update board dimensions. As well as the following G-codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code): G00,G01,G02,G03,G04,G28,G90,G91,G92,M18,M114 >
    M101 T45.72 B-45.72 L-45.72 R45.72 I1 J1
    D1 L1.5 R1.5
    G92 X0 Y0
    L=45.72,-45.72 R=45.72,45.72 Bottom=-45.72 X0.00 Y0.00 Z180.00F10000.00

Anonymous
    Inactive

After reading up about the differences between Arduino’s, I realised that I shouldn’t have to get a more powerful board – the chip upgrade should be sufficient. So I found another person with a similar problem – motors not jogging – https://www.marginallyclever.com/forums/topic/makelangelo-motors-not-jogging/

I had the I2C-bus address wrong in the Firmware sketch.
    It was: #define SHIELD_ADDRESS (0x61)
    and should have been 0x60.

I used this sketch to detect the correct address: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

With that the jog motor buttons worked and I was able to send a Hilbert curve to the machine…. and the motors moved! What a feeling to see those things move!!! Very excited to see what this thing will do.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.